Health & Safety Team
Pittsburg Unified School District is committed to preventing workplace injuries and illnesses among all employees. To prevent these injuries and illnesses, a health and safety team has been established. Employee involvement in accident prevention and support of health and safety team members and activities is necessary to ensure a safe and healthful workplace.
The purpose of our health and safety team is to involve all employees in cooperative efforts to promote safety and health in the workplace. The health and safety team will assist management and make recommendations for change.
There shall be employees and employer representatives. Employee representatives shall be volunteers or elected by their peers. If no employees volunteer they may be appointed by management. Employer representatives will be appointed. Health and Safety team members will serve terms of at least one year.
The health and safety team advises management about safety and health issues in the workplace. All written recommendations from the health and safety team will be submitted to management. Management will consider the recommendations and respond in writing to the health and safety team within a reasonable time.
The functions of the health and safety team are commitment to workplace health and safety, health and safety planning, accident and incident investigations, health and safety training.
All written recommendations submitted to management shall:
- Be clear and concise
- Provide reasons for implementation
- Include implementation costs and recommend completion dates
The health and safety team’s procedures for fulfilling its role will include:
- Setting meeting dates, times and location
- Setting the agenda
Duties of health and safety team members must include:
- Reporting unsafe conditions and practices
- Attend all health and safety meetings
- Recommending ideas for improving health and safety
- Working in a safe and healthful manner
- Observing how health and safety is enforced in the workplace
- Completing assignments given to them by the team leader(s)
- Acting as a employee representative in matters pertaining to health and safety
Only the planning and effective leadership of management and the health and safety team can build a lasting health and safety program. The health and safety team shall be a constructive entity, providing guidance and leadership in matters pertaining to the overall health and safety of the district.